Last week I was browsing the green grocer for inspiration and picked up some delicious seasonal produce for this weeks smoothie recipe.
Arugula (also known as rocket to some peeps) is a leafy green with a spicy tang to it. It is super low in calories but not low in nutritional value. In fact – consuming just two cups of arugula a day could potentially provide you with 20% of vitamin A, over 50% of vitamin K and 8% of your vitamin C, folate and calcium needs for the entire day. Arugula is also packed with phytochemicals that can help to reduce cancer-causing elements in the body. That’s pretty impressive.
Arugula is also a great green substitute to spinach with good levels of iron and copper (in case you’re a little bit spinached out and looking for greenspiration). Adding Arugula to your everyday diet could help to improve your eyesight, strengthen your bones and your brain as well as help give your immune system a good heathy boost!
Combine that with Fennel which is an anaemic fighting, flatulence busting, blood pressure reducing green and you have your self one spicy, earthy smoothie that will sustain you all afternoon!
- 1 x coconut water and flesh
- 1 banana (peeled)
- 3-4 slices of pineapple
- 1/2 cup fennel
- 1 handful of arugula
- 2 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 1-2 cups ice
- Put all the ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select speed 1, turn the machine on and quickly increase to the highest speed.
- Use tamper to effectively press the ingredients into the blades if required whilst processing.
- Blend for 45-70 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Stop the machine and serve.