This Garlic Soup recipe is definitely not for the the faint of heart! It’s packs a serious garlic punch but if you love garlic, then you will love this healthy soup.
- 26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 26 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp organic vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated ginger
- 2 ¼ cups chopped onions
- 1 ½ tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 ½ cups organic vegetable broth or stock (if store bought please make sure it is low in salt)
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place your (unpeeled) garlic cloves in a small, glass baking dish and add your 2 tbsp. olive oil with some sea salt, mix around and coat the garlic.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with some foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender (about 45 minutes).
- Let the roasted garlic cool and then squeeze the garlic from the skin to release the cloves and transfer to a small bowl.
- Melt butter in a heavy large saucepan over a medium heat. Add your onions, thyme, ginger and cayenne pepper and cook until the onions are translucent. About 10 minutes
- Add the roasted garlic and 26 raw garlic cloves and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add your vegetable stock, cover and simmer until the raw garlic is very tender. Around 20 minutes.
- Puree all ingredients on your Vitamix container on HIGH speed.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, add the coconut milk and simmer.
- Serve and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top.