Meet Rachel (affectionately known by her amigos as Rachie) Favilla; Aussie Nutritionist, Yoges Instructor and Author of the hilarious, inspiring and informative paperback Periods, Poo & A Glorious You. Born and bred in humble (r)Adelaide, Australia, Rachel relishes spending time with her friends and family, cooking up poo-pushing foodgasmic recipes and stretching it out with a cleansing yoges class or refreshing sunshine stroll.
Nothing lights Rachel up like a Christmas tree more than health education. She loves talking all things food and bodily functions and is well known for her fascination with the glorious brown stuff – yes, poo. Facing potential liver transplantation after being diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis at age 14, Rachel decided to throw all her energy into healing herself with medicinal foods. What she has learned and achieved since then inspires her every day.
This soup is yours to play with – use your favourite veggies and milk and you’re good to go. Let those creative juices run naked and wild.
Shop Vitamix by Region
- 2/3 cup diced and seeded butternut pumpkin (leave peel on for glorious fibre)
- 6 small button mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup filtered water, for cooking
- 1 cup coconut milk, I like Pure Harvest Coco Quench (not sponsored) because it’s sweet and creamy
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic, I like Kehoe’s Kitchen fermented garlic paste (not sponsored) because it doesn’t leave me with garlic breath – winning!
- Place veggies and water into saucepan and fit with lid. Bring to the boil and reduce to a low simmer until veggies are soft.
- Pour coconut milk into Vitamix 2L jug and add garlic paste. Pour veggies and cooking water on top and secure lid (leave the hole in the centre of the lid free).
- Cover the lid hole with your tea towel – this allows some steam to escape and prevents your machine overheating.
- Turn machine on and blend on speed 4 for thirty seconds before ‘blasting’ on speed 6 for about ten seconds. Reduce speed back to 1 before switching machine off.
- To serve, pour soup into your favourite soup bowl or oversized (and I mean OVERSIZED) mug and enjoy by the sip or soup spoonful.
- You can swap mushies for cauliflower for a variation on a theme and if you don’t like coconut milk feel free to swap for your favourite plant-based milk. I’ve tried cashew and hazelnut before and both were delish. This soup is yours to play with – use your fave veggies and milk and you’re good to go. Let those creative juices run naked and wild.
- Vitamix 2L container
- Small saucepan + lid
- Sharp knife to prepare veggies
- Tea Towel – come blending time