A delicious and crispy healthy gingerbread cookie to whip up for the festive and holiday season! So easy to make and they’re vegan friendly!
Shop Vitamix by Region
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp Flaxmeal + 2½ Tbsp Water)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 1/4 cup Nuttelex
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ – 1 ¾ cup gluten free flour baking
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp melted Nuttelex
- 1-2 Tbsp nut milk
- Prepare flax egg by mixing Flaxmeal and water in a bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add softened butter, molasses, almond butter, sugar, salt, spices, baking soda to a bowl and combine well. If using an electric mixer please mix on low speed.
- Add flour to the liquid mixture and your Flaxmeal mix and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Cover and chill the dough for at least one hour (preferably overnight).
- Preheat oven 176 C.
- Carefully roll out dough to a little thicker than 1/8 inch between two sheets or baking paper, generously sprinkling the bottom layer and the top layer of the dough with flour before rolling.
- Don’t roll too thin or it will be too crisp, and you’ll snap your ginger dudes!
- Remove the top sheet of baking paper and cut your dough using cookie cutters.
- Dip them in flour to ensure that the dough doesn’t stick to the cutter.
- Freeze your cut out shapes for around 5 minutes to help them firm up.
- Transfer your cookies to a baking tray and leave about 2 inches in between as they will expand.
- Bake for around 10 minutes or until they appear only slightly browned on the edges.
- They’ll continue to firm up as they rest on the pan.
- Rest on the tray for around 5 minutes and then transfer them to your cooling rack.
- Once they have cooled you can decorate them.
- Mix your icing ingredients together and then pop it into a piping bag.
- Make little faces of cover them completely in icing. It’s totally up to you!
- Store covered at room temperature for a few days or freeze them for longer term storage.
- Large Mixing bowl
- Baking Tray
- Rolling Pin
- Baking Paper
- Piping bag / bottle