In China, apricots were once called “moons of the faithful” and were thought to enhance women’s fertility.
Not only is this orange bombshell a baby makin’ fruit, it’s a member of the Rose Family! How romantic can a piece of fruit get? We’ve had quite a few recipe requests for simple snack ideas that are nut free and this is yet another perfect one to try. They’re jam packed with the goodness of dried apricots (sulfur free of course), the beautiful sweetness of medjool dates and a hint of tahini.
Be careful when choosing dried apricots!
A lot of the packaged dried fruits contain sulfur to help preserve them and their colour. Sulfur free dried apricots should be more of a brown colour than bright orange. Not as exciting however, a lot better for you!
Here’s what they should look like…
Nut Free Apricot + Coconut Bites
Submitted by Raw Blend
Makes: Roughly 10-12 bites
Serves: 5-10 people
1 cup (150g) dried apricots, soaked for 5 hours
1 cup (150g) medjool dates, pitted & soaked for 5 hours
1 cup (100g) desiccated coconut
1 tbsp (20g) tahini
2 tsp carob powder
1/4 cup desiccated coconut (extra to roll the bites in)
Optional: If you have a sweet tooth add some maple syrup
1) Place all ingredients in your Vitamix 2L wet Container and secure the lid.
2) Pulse your machine on HIGH speed 3 times at 3 seconds each time.
3) Switch your Vitamix to HIGH speed and use your tamper effectively to push the ingredients down to the blade. This is important as it is a thick ingredient.
4) Stop blending once it has formed a dough.
5) Roll into balls and coat with some extra desiccated coconut.
6) Try not to eat them all at once.
So, along with being super romantic what else is good about apricots?
There are so many recipes you can add apricots to. Use fresh apricots in your smoothies, use apricot oil on your skin or just simply snack on one when you have a craving for something sweet.
It’s safe to say that the Apricot is quite the Hot Shot.