Coconuts we love them because they scream tropical summer holiday and because they smell & taste amazing. We also love them because they give us Coconut Water & Coconut Oil. Two of my all- time favourites … and let me share with you why!
Coconut water is the ultimate go to summer refresher. It is a clear sweet, nutty liquid tapped from the centre of young, green coconuts. Low in calories & high in potassium, it helps keep us hydrated and helps to replace electrolytes. This is why coconut water is held in such high regard by athletes and frequent movers and shakers.
Coconut water is also great in helping relieve those hangover symptoms if you’ve had a few too many cheeky cocktails the night before. Which I know absolutely nothing about but I’ve heard it helps… Coconut water can also be beneficial for our skin thanks to its hydrating and nourishing properties as well as helping to aid digestion (tummy problems can often be the main source of nasty skin breakouts).
Coconut Oil comes from the white flesh found in mature coconuts. Coconut Oil is a “healthy” form of saturated fat boasting a whole range of health benefits. Coconut oil fat is nearly 50% lauric acid, which the body converts into monolaurin, this can be used to treat a wide range of infections as well as chronic fatigue, Another source of Monolaurin is breast milk … yep you heard me.
Coconut Oil has been used to assist weight loss, improve our energy levels and helps to rev up our metabolism as well as suppress our appetite. It is also is used to help improve digestion thanks to its anti-microbial properties, which have a soothing effect on bacteria, candida, and parasites that cause poor digestion. These properties also help to improve our immunity and work as a natural healing agent.
As if all this wasn’t enough coconut oil can replace a whole range of everyday products that we keep in our kitchen cupboards or on the bathroom sink – get rid of those nasty chemical laden products and opt for something natural and homemade … not to mention inexpensive. Bonus!
- Use your coconut oil to replace regular cooking oils in your kitchen. Yum…
- Coconut oil is a great dairy free alternative to butter when baking. Hello Betty!
- Make your own face & body scrub using coconut oil & raw sugar … it is nourishing and exfoliating and smells AMAZING, you can also add raw cacao powder for an extra lil’ some somethin’.
- Coconut Oil is a fantastic all over body moisturizer. It is completely nourishing and will also help prevent those unwanted stretchmarks. Because it has antibacterial and antiviral properties also is great for preventing unwanted breakouts.
- Use coconut oil as hair mask, It is nourishing and moisturizing which will help leave your hair feeling silky smooth, fresh out of the salon style.
I recently held a little girls night at my place and as always i like to give my guests a little treat to take home with them to say thanks for coming! I decided to try something a little different and made them an exfoliating body bar each to take home. I have been making my own body scrub for a couple of years now using coconut oil & raw sugar but i recently saw a really cute idea posted by The Gratitude Project to make bars instead so i thought i would try my own. They are so simple to make and they smell amazing. They are perfect for eliminating those dead skin cells while nourishing your skin leaving it feeling silky smooth too.
Cacao Coconut Body Bars
You will need:
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 1/2 cup organic instant coffee
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1 jar organic coconut oil – Loving Earth
- Cupcake tin
- Combine all ingredients together well in a mixing bowl.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of coconut oil into the bottom of each cupcake mould.
- Fill the remaining moulds with your exfoliant mix.
- Place in the freezer to set for at least an hour
- Use as needed to exfoliate your body.
If you are still not convinced that coconuts are the bees knees and you’re not yet going loco for coconuts, try my Pina Colada Breakfast Smoothie Recipe … one sip and you will feel like you are basking in the sun on a remote tropical island. Sigh …
- 1 cup Raw C coconut water
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1 banana
- 4-5 slices pineapple
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp Organic Vanilla Pea Protein Powder
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 cup ice
- Put all the ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and quickly increase the speed to 10, then override to High.
- Use the tamper to effectively press the ingredients into the blades whilst processing if needed.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Stop the machine and serve.