I’ve read around and spoken to a few people who are swearing by drinking celery juice for gut health. This appealed to me as recently my stomach has been out of sorts from a recent work trip to Thailand. I’ve tried drinking it the past two mornings and can certainly say it’s calmed my stomach and given me a clearer mind.
I’ve even delayed my morning coffee and went without it this morning! That’s not like me at all. I don’t rely on my morning coffee… I just looooove coffee 🙂
According to Mia Stern, certified health coach, raw food chef and founder of Brooklyn Culinary arts, celery juice boasts many health benefits. Here are just a few…
- Restores hydration, which can be particularly important in the morning when you’ve been without water for over seven hours.
- Great for the gut because it balances stomach acid. It restores the balance of hydrochloric acid in the body which is important for gut health. As we age, hydrochloric acid in the stomach is reduced, making it more difficult for the body to absorb nutrients.
- Contains a compound called pthalides, which relaxes the artery walls. As a result, it’s beneficial for reducing cardiovascular disease.
- It’s a diuretic, which makes it really good for cleansing the system and for weight loss. It also helps with de-puffing throughout the body, especially reducing under eye bags.
- It contains natural salts which are great for restoring electrolyte balance post-workout.
- Great for digestion, helps in particular with constipation.
- Reduces inflammation. The flavonoid luteolin controls inflammation throughout the body.
- Cleanses the liver.
- It contains anti-aging flavonoids which stave off wrinkles.
9 reasons why you should give it a go and see how it works for you 🙂
I simply juice celery with the Greenstar Elite Juicer and make about a litre. I prefer to have it a little cooler than room temperature as freezing cold drinks in the morning shock my system too much.