It sounds strange however, tastes great! I had a brain wave one day whilst eating some tahini with some veggie sticks and thought… I need to test drive tahini in a smoothie. So I did… and it worked!
Paw Paw & Tahini Smoothie
Submitted by: Raw Blend
Makes: 1 to 1.5L
Serves: 2-4 people
- Water from 1 fresh coconut
- 3/4 cup flesh from 1 fresh coconut 1 cup paw paw (without seeds)
- 1 orange (peeled)
- 1/2 cup mango (peeled)
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp maca powder
- Ice (optional)
- Put all the ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and quickly increase the speed to 10, then to High.
- Use tamper to effectively press the ingredients into the blades if required whilst processing.
- Blend for 60-90 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Stop the machine and serve.
I found that you could almost use this recipe as a custard too! Just take out the mango which makes it sweeter and add in some more paw paw and coconut flesh. The mango makes it a lot sweeter that just the paw paw and the coconut flesh gives it a nice creamy texture.
Don’t want to use store bought Tahini?
Here is a super yummy and easy recipe for your own homemade tahini in the Vitamix.
- 2 cups sesame seeds (raw)
- 3 cups water (to soak your sesame seeds)
- 1/2 cup sesame oil or light tasting olive oil
- Soak hulled sesame seeds for 4 hours and then drain and throw away the water.
- Rinse and drain your sesame seeds again and leave the soaked seeds to sit for another 4 hours.
- Spread your seeds thinly and evenly over some Dehydrating Teflex sheets and put into your dehydrator.
- Dehydrate on high (65 degrees celsius) for around 2 hours and then bring the temperature down to 40 degrees celsius until the seeds become dry. This could take up to 8 hours.
- Place your sesame seeds into your Vitamix 2L wet container and add in about 1/2 cup light tasting olive oil or macadamia nut oil (or coconut oil which might alter the taste).
- Turn your Vitamix to Variable Speed 1, then immediately turn up to speed 10 and override to High Speed. Use your tamper effectively as this is a thick mixture.
- If you find it isn’t getting any smoother feel free to add some more oil.
- Add a tiny dash of sea salt of you like.