The weather is heating up and so is your Instagram feed full of hot bods and bikini ready babes. You are starting to wonder if all of that comfort eating and couch surfing over the winter was worth it. I assure you … it was. You need not fear my foodie friends, I have a fabulous Avocado & Zucchini Sweet Summer Smoothie Recipe that will help trim those waistlines while giving you a list of health benefits. Check it out!
What’s the saying? It’s always better when we’re together? Well … it couldn’t be more true when pairing Avo & Zucchini together. Both of these green goodies are packed with fibre & potassium amongst other things!
- Fibre helps keep our digestive systems healthy and our bowl movements regular. Good health stems from our tummy which can result in clearer skin, a flatter belly and improved energy levels.
- Maintains healthy blood sugar levels
- Lowers cholesterol levels by binding itself to the bile acids that the liver makes when it’s digesting fat, (sounds gross I know).
- Helps our body to eliminate unwanted toxins
- The combination of fibre and water found in zucchinis are perfect for weight loss. Helping to control our appetites, allowing us to feel fuller for longer periods of time. They also have low calorie count but still provide us with necessary nutrients.
- Good source of electrolytes, helping to hydrate the body.
- Helps to reduce blood pressure and maintain heart and kidney health
- Keeps our muscles moving and our nerves working
- Improves our overall bone health
- A great stress buster for those who suffer from anxiety or unwanted stress (who am I kidding, all stress is unwanted).
- Boosts metabolism and improves muscle strength
- Maintains fluid balance in the body
This wonder fruit is not only super tasty but has some essential amino acids, antioxidants and healthy fats which help to balance hormones, adrenals and support the immune system.
- Vitamin B is essential for a whole bunch of reasons but they are particularly beneficial for maintaining a healthy metabolism as well as healthy skin and hair. Hello gorgeous!
- B5 found in avocado is particularly great for breaking down carbs and lipids and turning it into energy. It also assists us producing hormones.
- B6 this freakishly fun fruit helps our bods metabolise amino acids from our food and allows us to be able to build new red blood cells. Red blood cells are essential in carrying oxygen throughout our bodies.
- Rich in antioxidants including Vitamin E, avocados can also help to nourish our skin and help it to retain moisture which is super handy in winter time when our skin seems to feel dry and lifeless. Or if you’ve been having a little too much fun in the sun … did someone say beach babe?
- Avo used topically is also amazing for the skin. I use it as a homemade facemask – just whip together 1/2 an avo, 1 Tbsp of raw honey and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar. Beauty without the bottle, or the hefty price tag.
- Some research suggests that Vitamin E can be used to help the prevention of high blood pressure, heart disease and cancer
- A powerful antioxidant this baby can help promote circulation to the scalp which promotes healthy hair growth. It can also prevent dry scalp and makes your hair look silky and smooth. Yep, luscious locks her you come.
Zucchini is a low calorie, high fibre vegetable (well actually it’s a fruit), that we should all be adding into our diets. Check it out!
- A mineral that can help the body metabolize proteins and carbs
- Protects the body against oxidative stress that causes disease and illness
- Essential for the production of an amino acid called proline, which enables collagen to form in the skin resulting in a healthier, smoother and brighter complexion. It also assists in our skins ability to heal.
- Involved in the process of producing sex hormones and the synthesis of fatty acids and cholesterol.
- The antioxidant properties of Vitamin C can help the body to fight free radicals that cause disease and illness
- Works as a natural anti–inflammatory for the body
- Strong immune booster
- Can help people who suffer from asthma
- Vitamin C and manganese in squash species like zucchini help keep our hearts healthy
- Helps prevent high cholesterol
- Together with Vitamin A promotes healthy vision
- Promotes healthy hair and skin
- Important for maintaining healthy collagen and connective tissue
If all these health benefits aren’t enough to have you making zucchini and avocado for breakfast, lunch and dinner then here is my Avocado & Zucchini Sweet Summer Smoothie. It is delicious, nutritious and perfect for you plate this summer!
Avocado & Zucchini Sweet Summer Smoothie Recipe
Ingredients – Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 zucchinis (peeled)
- 1 avocado (flesh)
- Tbsp coconut oil
- Tbsp hemp or pea protein
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3-4 medjool dates (pitted)
- Himalayan rock salt (a few generous cracks)
- 1 cup of Ice
Ingredients – Topping
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Unseated Carob Nibs
- Put all the ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and quickly increase the speed to 10, then override to High.
- Use tamper to effectively press the ingredients into the blades if required whilst processing.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Stop the machine and serve.
Top it off with some unsweetened carob nibs and some pumpkin seeds and enjoy our Avocado & Zucchini Sweet Summer Smoothie Recipe.