These magical bites are definitely at the top of my list. I make them for EVERYTHING! Last minute guests, dinner parties, snacks when you need a sweet fix and just because I like chocolate.
I am yet to meet someone who doesn’t like them when they try one. Even the raw food / health food skeptics out there. I don’t think I would want to meet the person who doesn’t like this recipe… that would just make me sad.
The great thing about this recipe is it is simple and you can change it around to suit your needs. Don’t like cacao? Use carob! Want to add in some Tahini? Add it! Trust me… I tried this recipe with some tahini added and it was a hit!
Makes: 15 (depending on how big you roll them)
Serves: 8-10 people
- 1 cup medjool dates (pitted)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup cacao power
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
- 1 Tbsp chia gel (mix 2 tsp chia seeds with 2 Tbsp water to form a gel)
- Put all the ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Turn your variable speed dial to 10 and pulse the machine on and off 5 times for 3 seconds each time.
- Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and quickly increase the speed to 10, then override to High.
- Use tamper really well to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Blend until you have a nice dough consistency.
- Roll the balls in any extra shredded coconut to coat and place on a plate lined with grease proof paper.
- Set the bliss balls in the freezer for about an hour and take out just before serving.
They taste the best when they are nice and cold
You can substitute the cacao powder with some carob powder however, please note that carob powder doesn’t have the same flavour intensity as raw cacao powder
You can add in 2 x TBSP. tahini.
Can keep stored in an airtight container in the freezer for months or in an airtight container in the fridge for just over a week.
There are so many amazing benefits of this super tasty treat! Here’s just a few…
- Raw Organic Cacao powder has 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries. Huge! Antioxidants are super important as they absorb free radicals (that come from pollution and toxins in our environment), which cause cell and tissue damage and can lead to many diseases.
- On a plant-based/vegan diet and looking for iron? Look no further than your friend CACAO! It has the highest plant-based source of Iron clocking in at a whopping 7.3mg per 100g. To read up on IRON click here.
- Something else to boast about there Raw Organic Cacao?? Yes… it is also one of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium, the most deficient mineral in the Western world! Magnesium is important for a healthy heart, and helps turn glucose into energy enabling your brain to work with laser-sharp clarity and focus.
- Oh yeah… it has more calcium than cows milk too… so let’s all give Daisy the Dairy cow a vacation.
Cheers to Chocolate!