Cupcakes. Need I say more? Except for…
Raw, Avocado and lime cupcakes. It’s a thing. Well, it is now and they taste amazing and not too sweet.
They’re sweetened with the help of RICE MALT SYRUP. Why should you use RICE MALT SYRUP? Here’s why;
Rice malt syrup (RMS) is made from 100% organic brown rice. It is made through culturing rice with enzymes to breakdown the starches and then cooking until it becomes syrup. The final product contains;
- Soluble complex carbohydrates
- Contains small amounts of glucose
- RMS is 100% fructose free
Why do we need to get rid of fructose?
Here is some handy information that I got off the PALEO LEAP website:
- Fructose can only be metabolized by the liver and can’t be used for energy by your body’s cells. It’s therefore not only completely useless for the body, but is also a toxin in high enough amount because the job of the liver is to get rid of it, mainly by transforming it into fat and sending that fat to our fat cells.
- Excess fructose damages the liver and leads to insulin resistance in the liver as well as fatty liver disease. In fact, fructose has the same effects on the liver as alcohol (ethanol), which is already well known as a liver toxin.
- Fructose reacts with proteins and polyunsaturated fats in our bodies 7 times more than glucose. This reaction creates AGEs (Advanced glycation end-products), which are compounds that create oxidative damage in our cells and ultimately lead or contribute to inflammation and a host of chronic diseases.
- Fructose increases uric acid production, which, in excess, can cause gout, kidney stones and precipitate or aggravate hypertension.
- While most of your body’s cells can’t use fructose as a source of energy, the bacteria in your gut can and excess fructose can create gut flora imbalances, promote bacterial overgrowth and promote the growth of pathogenic bacteria.
- In part because of the damage done to the liver, chronic excess fructose causes dyslipidemia, which means that your blood lipid markers tend to shift towards numbers that indicate a risk for heart disease.
- Fructose rapidly causes leptin resistance. Leptin is an hormone that controls appetite and metabolism to maintain a normal weight. Leptin resistant people tend to gain fat and become obese really easily.
- Excess fructose alone can cause all the problems associated with the metabolic syndrome (diabetes, obesity, heart disease, …).
- Cancer cells thrive and proliferate very well with fructose as their energy source.
- Excess fructose also affects brain functioning, especially as it relates to appetite regulation. It has also been shown to impair memory in rats.
In short: YOU NEED TO CUT OUT AS MUCH FRUCTOSE AS POSSIBLE!
What are some good LOW-FRUCTOSE sweeteners?
STEVIA || YACON SYRUP || RICE MALT SYRUP
Creamy Avocado and Lime Cupcakes
Submitted by Raw Blend
Makes: Roughly 18 cupcakes
Serves: 18 people
2 cups mixed raw nuts (pistachios, macadamias and hazelnuts)
1/2 cup almond meal
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
Pinch sea salt
2 cups cashews (soaked for 4 hours)
1 x avocado, peeled and seed removed
1 kiwi fruit, peeled
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 Tbsp. Rice Malt Syrup (or sweetener of choice)
1 tsp. organic vanilla paste
1 x lime
- Place all your crust ingredients into your 2L Wet container and secure the lid.
- Pulse 5 times on HIGH speed to roughly chop. Each pulse should last about 2 seconds. Make sure you have one hand on the container to secure it.
- Turn your machine to HIGH speed and blend until it forms a dough. Use your tamper effectively as this is a thick mixture.
- Press your dough into the bottom of cupcake moulds lined with cupcake liners and set in the freezer for about 2 hours.
- Drain your cashews and add them to your 2L Vitamix Wet container along with the remaining filling ingredients.
- Blend on HIGH speed until the mixture is nice and creamy. Use your tamper effectively as this is a thick mixture.
- Pour or spoon this mixture over the crust, garnish with kiwi fruit slices and set in the freezer for about 5 hours.
- Thaw for about 30 minutes before serving.
Avocado in a cupcake. Sounds strange but jeepers creepers it works!
Make sure you eat them as soon as you can… they might turn…
Image Source: http://pulpfactor.com/fun/1074/funny-comics-by-natalie-dee-54-pics/