Can I dehydrate food in my oven? Well… yes it can be done but we don’t recommend it. We absolutely love dehydrating here in the Raw Blend office. Dehydrating is a fantastic way preserve fruits and veggies that you have in excess so you are not wasting any. It’s also great for creating snacks and it’s ideal for campers and adventurers! It really brings out the strongest flavours in herbs, while also keeping them around when they might be out of season.
What if you don’t have a food dehydrator?
It is possible to dehydrate food without a dehydrator however, here are a few reasons why we don’t recommend it:
- Most foods require temperatures as low as 40 degrees Celsius when dehydration. Most ovens don’t go this low so you end up scorching most of your produce and throwing it out! Especially foods with a high fat content which can go rancid.
We want to preserve our food… NOT WASTE IT!
- A lot of ovens have Hot Spots so there will be an uneven drying process.
- You need to flip foods over when drying in an oven. This is not needed when drying in a dehydrator.
- Enzymes are destroyed when drying in an oven due to the high temperatures.
- A lot of power is used if you keep your oven on for 12-12hours. I wouldn’t want to keep my oven on for that long.
- There is no Night Mode which is a feature on the Sedona Dehydrator which saves noise pollution and energy.
- You can choose on some dehydrator models if you want to use both fans or only one which gives you the chance to save a lot of money on your energy bills.
Can I Dehydrate Food In My oven?
It is possible but we do not recommend it.
Whilst it does the job with a keen and watchful eye and quite a bit of fidgeting, purchasing an actual food dehydrator will save you time and money in the long run.
I don’t know about you, but I prefer to dehydrate with a piece of equipment that was specifically built for dehydrating foods and herbs.
We are in love with our Sedona Range! We have the Classic, Combo and Express available here in Australia and they are flying out the door! They are so easy to use and a far more economical choice than dehydrating in your oven.
What recipes do you love to make in your dehydrator?
Check out all our dehydrator recipes HERE