Chris Cavanagh is an endurance athlete, a MKR Star (that’s My Kitchen Rules for those of you who have been living under a rock) and the creator behind Panache Desserts. Raw, Organic, Vegan, Gluten Free deliciousness!
We are super stoked to have Chris as this month’s Featured Friend and for him to share one of his amazing recipes.
Firstly, What does creating ‘a healthy mix for life’ mean to you?
To create a healthy mix for life, balance is the key for me. Whilst physical health is really important through healthy eating and exercise, I try to dedicate the same amount of time to mental health in the form of meditation, yoga or any other activity that helps free the mind for a bit. I also like to do as many things as I can that take me out of my comfort zone.
What does your day on a plate look like and why do you eat the way you do?
The two things that are on my plate every day are tomato and avocado. Being vegetarian and an endurance athlete, I am very conscious of what I put in my body and it is really important that I get all the necessary nutrients from real and whole foods.
Living a healthy life doesn’t just mean eating well … how do you keep your mind and body healthy?
For me, eating well is only part of the equation. To keep my body and mind healthy, I am constantly exercising, meditating/yoga and play guitar. I think it is really important to have something that allows you to disengage from the hustle and bustle of day-to-day life.
Who is your health, wellness or fitness guru and why?
Health: Peter Defty- Peter focuses on optimizing fat metabolism (OFM) which leads down the ketogenic path (high fat/low carb). As well as being vegetarian, I try to incorporate as many healthy fats into my diet as possible. Anyone interested in fuel sources during exercise should take some time to read about OFM and Peter Defty.
Fitness: Phil Maffetone- Phil’s theories and principles have transformed the way I train and for anyone who does any kind of aerobic exercise or acitivities, I can not recommend him highly enough. All of his work is based around training at your maximum aerobic heart rate.
What is your ONE Super Hero Food that you cannot live without?
The one food that I cannot live without is avocado. Not only are they delicious and healthy but they can be used in practically anything, including desserts!
If you could share with the Raw Blend Family one piece of your wisdom what would it be?
Look after the health of your gut as it has a very important relationship with the brain and plays a pivotal role in your general wellbeing. There is so much to be discovered on this topic and it is something that everyone should be aware of.
We are lucky enough to have you share one of your favourite recipes with us, why do you love this recipe?
I love this recipe because it is everything I look for in a dessert…healthy, quick and made from real food!
- 1 cup packed almonds
- 1 cup packet and pitted medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- 2 & 1/2 cups soaked cashews (soaked for minimum 6 hours)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup agave
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 & 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- Process almonds in a food processor until it resembles the texture of almond meal.
- Next, add dates one at a time and finish by adding goji berries. Stop the processor when the mixture sticks together when pressed between your fingers.
- Press into a lined brownie tin (27cm x 18cm) and set in the freezer.
- Process all filling ingredients except the raspberries in a processor until completely smooth. Pour half of the mixture on prepared base and mix through half a cup of raspberries. Place back in the freezer to set.
- Add the last cup of raspberries to the remaining mixture and blitz until smooth. This doesn’t take long so be careful not to over-process!
- Pour onto the set lemon/vanilla filling and smooth with a spatula.
- Place in freezer for 4 hours to set. Take out 10 minutes before serving. This will last a few weeks when stored in the freezer. Garnish with pistachios or coconut chips.
*If available/accessible, use organic ingredients.