Did you know the Macadamia nut has the hardest shell of any nut and it takes 300 PSI of pressure to crack a macadamia!
Well worth the effort if you ask me for they are super tasty! The non toxic ones that is. Only 2 out of 9 species of macadamia trees produce nuts that are edible. The other species are poisonous therefore inedible!
Macadamias are native to north eastern New South Wales and central and south eastern Queensland. The tree is commercially important for its fruit, the macadamia nut or simply macadamia.
Why are they so popular? Because they taste so good AND they are good for you!
The most interesting and hardcore fact that I learnt about the wonderful Macadamia nut? They’re sometimes used in drug stings by the police! When macadamia nuts are chopped finely, they are similar in colour and texture to crack cocaine. Don’t even think about feeding them to your Dog Squad though! They are toxic to dogs and can cause abdominal pain, muscle tremors and even paralysis. If your dog gets his paws on some macadamia buts, get him to the vet right away for treatment!
Submitted by: Raw Blend
Makes: 16 Bites
Serves: 10-12 people
- 1 cup medjool dates (pitted, soaked for 24hours)
- 1 cup macadamia nuts or mixed nuts of your choice
- tbsp. shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp. cacao butter
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch Sea salt
- Place all your ingredients into your Vitamix 2L wet container and secure the lid.
- Turn your variable speed dial to 10 and pulse the machine on and off for 2 seconds at a time about 4 times. This helps chop up and gets your mixture moving. Make sure you are holding the container whilst pulsing so it doesn’t jump off your motor base.
- Override your machine to HIGH speed and use your tamper to effectively push the ingredients down to the blade and stop blending once you have formed your dough consistency.
- Roll your macadamia balls in some finely shredded coconut and set in the freezer for about 3 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, thaw them out for about 5 minutes before eating.
These are pretty tasty I am not going to lie. Feel free to sub out the macadamias with another nut if you prefer. It will alter the taste though.
As hard as it will be, make sure you eat these in moderation and macadamias in general. Macadamia nuts are higher in fat and lower in protein that a lot of other nuts so make those taste buds behave!