Nut Allergies! Need I say more? They can be horrible especially with the little ones at school.
Signs and symptoms of a mild allergic reaction can include:
- Your mouth and lips tingling.
- Your face swelling.
- Feeling sick.
- Urticaria (nettle rash or hives).
- Colicky pains in your abdomen (tummy or stomach).
- A feeling of tightness around your throat.
Signs and symptoms of a more severe allergic reaction can include:
- All of the above.
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing due to an asthma-like attack, or swelling around your throat.
- A sense of impending doom.
- Dilation (opening up) of your blood vessels, which can cause:
- general redness of your skin
- a fast heart rate
- a low blood pressure, which can cause you to feel faint or to collapse.
This severe reaction is called anaphylaxis and without quick treatment you would soon become unconscious. A small number of people die every year as a result of this kind of severe reaction, usually because they do not get treatment quickly enough. If you think you are having an anaphylactic reaction you need to call an ambulance straightaway and get immediate medical help.
So how about a yummy, healthy snack idea to put in the lunch boxes without the worries?
Nut Free Protein Bites
Submitted by Raw Blend
Makes: Roughly 20 bites
Serves: 10 – 12 people
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp. carob powder
- Pinch Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted & soaked
- 3 Tbsp. oil (coconut oil or olive oil)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 3 tsp. Lariese Hemp Protein Powder
- Shredded coconut for rolling
- Measure out your dates and soak them for about 5hours until nice and soft.
- Place all the ingredients in the order listed above into your 2L Vitamix Wet container and secure the lid.
- Turn your machine to variable speed to 8 and pulse on and off 3 times for about 3 seconds each time. Make sure to have one hand on the container securing it.
- Turn your machine to HIGH speed and starting mixing the ingredients in a dough mixture. Use your tamper effectively as this is a thick mixture.
- Turn your machine off and roll the bites into whatever size you want and roll in coconut.
- Set in the fridge for about an hour or eat straight away!
This is such a tasty recipe! It isn’t too sweet so if you have a big sweet tooth you might want to add some more maple syrup or coconut nectar. You can also taste the sunflower seeds so if you are use to an almond meal based bliss ball or another type of nut be prepared for a different taste.
We use the Lariese Hemp Protein power not only for its incredible health benefits but it also helps that it has a very neutral taste. We also stock their HEMP OIL and HEMP SEEDS so make sure you check them out and give them a try yourself.
Now…. GO NUTS!
Without the nuts… of course…