This is fast becoming my new favourite protein slice / go to sweet fix or just a snack on the go! Packed with real foods and no fancy numbers it feels good to pig out on! Although… moderation people… don’t go crazy!
With the goodness of oats, coconut and dates along with a good quality Hemp Protein Powder you can’t go wrong!
Why are oats good for me?
- Oats are a low calorie food! There are only 130 calories in one cup and they make you feel full for longer and stop cravings.
- Oats provide low levels of fibre, low levels of fat and a high amount of protein. It’s on the short list for the highest protein levels of any grain.
- The high fibre and complex carbohydrate slows down the conversion of this whole food to simple sugars therefore, stabilising blood sugar levels.
- The high levels of magnesium helps to nourish the body’s proper use of glucose and insulin secretion.
- Many studies have shown that the unique fibre in oatmeal called beta-glucan has beneficial effects on cholesterol levels. Helping the good cholesterol and removing the bad.
Submitted by: Raw Blend
Makes: About 10 bars
Serves: 10-15 people
This recipe was made in the Vitamix Professional Series 750. Please half the ingredients if using in the Vitamix TNC5200.
Ingredients for the bar:
- 1 1/3 cup rolled oats (or quinoa flakes. these will change the taste)
- 1 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1.5 cup medjool dates (soaked for 24 hours)
- 5 tbsp hemp protein powder (or vanilla protein powder of choice)
- 3 tbsp chia seeds (soaked and formed into a gel)
- 2 tbsp dried goji berries
- 1/2 tsp good quality salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 35g coconut oil
Ingredients for the carob glaze:
- 4 tbsp (heaped) carob powder
- 4 tbsp (heaped) coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- Blend the rolled oats and shredded coconut in your 2L wet container until it has formed a rough flour. Add the rest of the ingredients except the goji berries and the cacao butter. Blend on high speed until a hard dough is formed. Use your tamper effectively to push the ingredients down to the blade.
- Melt the coconut oil carefully over hot water and add it to the blender along with the goji berries. Pulse until all is well combined. Tip: You can also work this mixture with your hands, no blender necessary.
- Press the mixture evenly into a baking dish covered with either plastic film or baking sheet (so it won’t stick). Let set in the fridge for 20 minutes while making the glaze.
- Gently melt the coconut oil over hot water, mix with the carob powder and pure vanilla and drizzle over your bars. Let it set in the fridge again for about an hour.
- Store in the fridge for no more than 2 weeks of toss them in the freezer for longer storage time.
Once again this amazing recipe was inspired by the incredible Earthsprout.
Trust me… they will not last long in the fridge!