Stuffing … well let’s be honest, it is seriously one of my favourite parts about the holiday table spread but, seeing as I don’t eat meat or gluten I had a mission which I chose to accept … to create a delicious, “traditional with a twist” tasting stuffing that was completely gluten-free and vegan that EVERYONE could enjoy and I have to say … I #nailedit. I have come up with a good modern twist on a golden oldie, cue my Vegan & Gluten-Free Christmas Stuffing Recipe.
The secret is this gluten-free, vegan stuffing recipe has all the flavours and elements of a traditional tasting stuffing recipe but it also has a spicy kick that really compliments the other flavours while having you reach for a second and third … okay if I am being honest, fourth helping.
Vegan & Gluten-Free Christmas Stuffing Recipe
- 1 large jar of jalapeños (keep the juice as well)
- 2 cans of chopped black olives (keep the liquid)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2L vegetable broth (added as needed)
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup red onion
- 8 cups of gluten-free bread cut into ½” cubes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped (from a jar – nice and moist)
- ¾ cup red onion (you will be caramelising)
- 2 Tbsp agave syrup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Warm the olive oil in a frying pan with medium heat
- Add the red onion, agave syrup, and olive oil, stirring regularly until onions begin to caramelise.
- In a separate sauce pan, add the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Reduce heat to low and add all spices and other ingredients (except the bread). Add the caramelised onions to this mixture as well, and the juice of the olives and jalapeños (about ¼ cup of each).
- Remove from heat and add the bread slowly, making sure that each cube begins to soak up the mixture.
- Transfer your ingredients into a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 190 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot along side your other holiday dishes!