Do you ever hit the gym, leave feeling fantastic and then about an hour later you feel absolutely zapped? Perhaps you’re not giving your body what it needs to repair itself. A post workout snack can help to replenish energy and repair your muscles. You see ultimately, working out makes us stronger, fitter and helps to increase our metabolism but short term it requires our body to repair.
In a very basic form, our body repairs through the breakdown of old and damaged proteins and then the production of new ones. To assist the repairing process we can give ourselves two important things, protein and carbohydrates. Protein to assist protein synthesis and carbohydrates to help replace glycogen.
Now because I am a gal who loves a solution to a problem, I got in the kitchen, whipped out my blender and made myself a delicious and replenishing smoothie after my wunda workout.
Bananas are high in carbohydrates but don’t run the other way. Our body needs carbohydrates to help bring low blood glucose levels after a work out back to normal – just make sure they are beneficial carbs, like bananas! They are also a great source of potassium and can help to restore the body’s balance of electrolytes after a good sweat session.
These little babies are technically legumes and are a fantastic source of protein, healthy fats and nutrients not to mention they taste delicious! Combine peanuts or peanut butter with banana and you have yourself a delicious post workout smoothie!
Crunchy Peanut & Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 2 bananas
- 2-3 Tbsp Organic Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp raw honey
- sprinkle cinnamon
- 1 cup ice
- Crushed peanuts
- cinnamon sugar
- Put all the ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and quickly increase the speed to 10, then override to High.
- Use tamper to effectively press the ingredients into the blades if required whilst processing.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Stop the machine and serve.
- Top with crushed peanuts and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and enjoy!
TIP: I drizzled the inside of my mason jar with our delicious chocolate topping recipe to add a little something extra when sipping on your smoothie!