Did you know that bananas are botanically known as a berry … yep a bloomin’ berry! If you didn’t know that then maybe you are unaware of the amazing benefits that bananas boast for your body and your brain. So if you are struggling just a little after the long weekend festivities than these beauties are set to give you a big boost in more ways than one, … this IS bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s.
Boost your brain power
Bananas are particularly good for brain development and our overall mental health. Bananas have good levels of tryptophan as well as Vitamin B6 which can help convert the tryptophan to serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical in the brain that helps maintain our mood balance, while reducing our overall stress and anxiety, which in turn helps us to feel happy. You can see why this stuff is important! The high levels of potassium in bananas can also help us to be more alert and improve our response to learning while the magnesium can help boost concentration and relax our muscles, helping us to rest.
Boost your energy
Bananas are high in carbohydrates but don’t run the other way yet. Our body needs carbohydrates to help bring low blood glucose levels back to normal – just make sure they are beneficial carbs like bananas! Bananas have a lower GI than most carbs so they will provide us with sustained energy, as opposed to a massive climax followed by a massive slump. So when you are feeling a little depleted and like you maybe want to take a little power nap at your desk, grab a banana. Your body will go bananas! Potassium found in bananas can also help to restore the body’s balance of electrolytes which is great after a work out or if you had one too many cocktails the night before …
Boost your digestion
Rich in pectin and fibre, bananas can help aid digestion by helping to remove toxins from the body. Bananas can also work like a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of good bacteria that helps keep our tummy healthy. This is important as our tummy helps to determine our overall health.
Boost your Health
Bananas contain Antioxidants and Vitamins like A, B6, C, fibre, potassium, magnesium and iron. Potassium is absorbed directly into our blood stream and helps keep our heart rhythm healthy. Antioxidants help to fight free radicals in the body to prevent diseases like cancer, heart disease and kidney disease while Vitamin A is great for improving our vision. Bring on the bananas!
With bananas on the brain we have created a delicious banana sweet treat for you to try at home!
You will need:
- x6 large bananas
- wooden skewers
- 3/4 agave syrup (light)
- 1 cup organic cacao butter
- 3/4 organic raw cacao powder
- shredded coconut (or any topping you desire)
- Cut raw cacao butter into small chunks. Melt over warm water or in the dehydrator.
- Stir agave and raw cacao powder into melted cacao butter. Whisk until smooth. If it starts to cool down just place it over a low heat again.
Banana Choc Tops Method
- Soak wooden skewers before use and trim to size if needed
- Peel bananas and cut into halves
- Stick skewer through the centre of bananas and roll in chocolate topping to give a generous coating
- Sprinkle desired topping over chocolate, we use shredded coconut and chopped pistachios but you could use pretty much anything your heart desires … try chia seeds, acai, goji berries or peanuts .. yum!
- Place on a non stick baking sheet and refrigerate for 10-15minutes or until the chocolate has set.
- Remove, serve and …