ANZAC Day (25th April) is a nationwide day of commemoration for Australians and New Zealander’s of the lives lost at war, especially the ANZAC’s (Australian and New Zealand Army Corp) of WWI. The sweet Anzac biscuits that we know and love today are the inspiration for this smoothie recipe.
It certainly wasn’t a sweet treat back in the day… more like a hard-tack solders biscuit that was consumed in the battlefields. They are thought to have been carefully created by a team of women on the home-front who were searching for a solution to a biscuit that could be easily transportable to their men on the front line in care/comfort packs.
It is also believed that the sweeter biscuit recipe is celebrated and shared as the ‘ANZAC biscuit’ due to the love and compassion from the home-front that is associated with them and the care packs they were and still are a part of today.
To this day they represent more than a biscuit and a recipe as they are an iconic tradition that is passed down through the generations of Australians and New Zealanders, i.e. from mother to daughter as was done with ours, where the stories of our past are shared, and of the gentle reminder of the ANZAC legacy and spirit that is never to be forgotten – LEST WE FORGET.
I’ve put my own spin on the Anzac Biscuit and decided to make a delicious smoothie. It’s a lot quicker than baking a biscuit believe me…
Anzac Biscuit Smoothie Recipe
Submitted by Claire @Team Raw Blend
Makes: 4.5 cups
Serves: 2-4 people
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 banana (peeled)
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp liquid sweetener (I used Rice Malt Syrup)
- Put all the ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and quickly increase the speed to 10, then override to High.
- Use tamper to effectively press the ingredients into the blades if required whilst processing.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Stop the machine and serve.
- Top with oats and coconut flakes!
Note: If you use Maple Syrup it will give your smoothie a more traditional taste.
Check out our Raw Anzac Day Truffles HERE