At Raw Blend we are always looking for ways to maximize the goodness our smoothie creations can offer us. Here is a list of my Top 5 Foods that will Super Charge your Smoothie!
This super citrus fruit is BURSTING with of lots of beneficial vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C, citric acid, magnesium, pectin, limonene and bioflavonoids that help keep our mind and bodies healthy.
- Vitamin C and citric acid which can be found in the humble lemon, can help to promote glowing radiant skin and prevent acne thanks to its antibacterial nature. Girls that means get your lemon on!
- The juice from a lemon can be used as a weight loss aid, this is because lemon is able to help stimulate our digestion and flush out toxins found in the liver. You have probably noticed that a lot of detox and weight loss products found on your pharmacy or supermarket shelf are based around the wonderful beneficial properties of lemon juice. Now you know why!
- Lemons have been found in some cases to help relieve stress, anxiety and help with symptoms of exhaustion and fatigue by stimulating brain activity. What’s not to love about the lemon?
We recommend adding this antibacterial, antiviral, immune boosting citrus goodness into your Smoothies every day. You can also try lemon juice in hot water first thing in the morning to help give your metabolism a kick start, or try our awesome Detox Zinger Shot.
Ok – so we all remember being told to eat our broccoli at the dinner table and that it was “good for us”, but do you really know how good for us it is and the amazing health benefits a daily serve of broccoli can provide?
- Broccoli is loaded with essential nutrients to help keep our bodies healthy, it is full of Vitamin K and Vitamin C which are two bone-building essentials.
- Broccoli has lots of fibre which we know is super important to help keep our digestive systems regular but it can also help in the complex process of lowering our cholesterol levels. Broc on!
- Phytonutrients and flavonoids that can be found in broccoli can help to lower our risk of developing heart disease, diabetes and even cancer thanks to its amazing ability to effect our body’s detoxification process, all while helping to keep our metabolism in balance.
These are all fantastic reasons to add more broccoli into our diets, but if you are still having trouble with the thought of sitting down to chomp on a big bowl of broccoli, we have made it easy for you with a delicious Kale and Avocado Smoothie recipe that has a nice big hit of broccoli.
These silky smooth, tasty fruits have become quite popular recently now that we know they are full of “good” essential healthy fats and some other amazing health benefits. Thank goodness we don’t have to feel guilty reaching for a second serve or our favourite guacamole dip! Just remember to share it around.
- Avocados are full of nutrients and essential healthy fats that can help lower our cholesterol levels.
- Avocados are rich in fibre and folate which helps reduce our risk of heart disease, prevent birth defects for expecting mammas and helps protect us against stroke.
- Rich in antioxidants including Vitamin E, avocados can also help nourish our skin and keep it looking healthy and youthful. It is also one of the best natural mouth wash remedies helping to eliminate bad breath thanks to its ability to help cleanse our intestines (This is often the real cause of bad breath). Nasty but true …
To get that gorgeous glow try our beautifying Avocado Green Smoothie recipe at home.
We don’t know if he knew it or not but Popeye the sailor man sure was on to a good thing when he sat down to eat his big bowl of spinach every day! Spinach is one of the most amazing greens we can get our hands on, full of vitamins and minerals that provide us with some of the most amazing health benefits imaginable.
- High in antioxidants this super green has the ability to help boost eye health and lower the risks of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke and even cancer. In fact recent studies have found that among all the fruits and vegetables out there, spinach is one of the most effective cancer-fighting greens to add to your diet.
- Spinach is full of Vitamin K. This vitamin is particularly handy in maintaining good bone health and healthy brain function.
- Vitamin A which can also be found in this miracle green can be beneficial for maintaining a healthy respiratory, urinary and intestinal tract and is therefore a great immune booster to help your body fight infection.
- The high content of Vitamin A found in spinach helps to promote healthy skin and hair, allowing us to retain moisture in our skin as well as fighting acne and reducing wrinkles by helping to build collagen.
- Spinach is also rich in Vitamins B2, C, Iron, magnesium, calcium and potassium – All of this helps with our energy metabolism, muscle and nerve function as well as our heart health.
Phew… that’s a lot of benefits! The best part is that even though spinach is super healthy, it is almost tasteless and can there for be added easily into any of your smoothie recipes to help give your smoothie a super green, super charge. Try our Going Green Smoothie at home. You won’t even know all that goodness is hiding in there.
These beautiful berries are super delicious and one of my favourite fruits. They have potential benefits for our nervous system, brain health and memory function.
- Blueberries are considered a low GI (glycaemic index) fruit to help maintain a healthy blood sugar level and are full of fibre which helps keep us feeling fuller for longer. This makes Blueberries a perfect go to snack when you’re on the run.
- Blueberries are also full of Vitamin C which we already know is an incredible immune booster and helps in fighting infections.
- Blueberries are particularly good at helping reduce the bacteria that can bind itself to bladder tissue found in the urinary tract. This can reduce your risk of contracting a urinary tract infection and help to alleviate its symptoms.
- The Antioxidants in Blueberries help to promote healthy circulation and glowing skin.
If you didn’t get your beauty sleep last night try our Berry Smoothie Treat to get the berry delicious benefits that blueberries can offer you. Make sure you use a good quality high powered blender to ensure an amazing consistency.