Spring clean your indsides. Ahhh Spring … the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, flowers are in bloom and the skies seem bluer than they have ever been before. Every year without fail it feels like spring has come just in time when I’ve needed it most. It lifts my mood, my spirit & my goals.
With this new sense of inspiration and motivation spring always inspires me to start fresh. I am a big dreamer (my partner teases me all the time for my massive dreams and goals) but I know that every great success started out as a great idea. So spring allows me to re-evaluate, re-assess and re-direct. I Spring clean all areas of my life … including my body.
Spring clean your insides – the body can become sluggish over time. Especially if we have been ingesting high amounts of sugar, fatty foods or alcohol. This can cause us to feel irritable, lethargic, and give us unwanted breakouts, yuck. Not to mention it can really start effecting your immune system. So I like to increase my intake of natural detoxifying foods to help my body’s natural elimination process along to keep me feeling my best.
Foods that have natural detoxifying properties can help to boost our immune systems, metabolism and maximise our digestion process.
Detoxification is a natural process of the body and is always ongoing, helping us to eliminate unwanted nasty toxins. Toxins can include things like pesticides, antibiotics, chemicals, hormones, alcohol & additives found in modern day foods and beverages.
They affect the function of our liver, kidneys and digestive systems making them work overtime. A build-up of these toxins can cause a whole range of unwanted symptoms and disease.
Sometimes I find it beneficial for me to be a little kinder to my body and give it a little help with this process. Sometimes your body needs a holiday too … Think about it, your body works 24/7 to keep you going! After a good spring clean I often find that my energy levels have increased, I can focus better, my digestion is better and my skin looks amazing!
To Spring clean my body from the inside out I try and eliminate my intake of foods that are hard to process like caffeine, dairy, sugar and animal fats and I increase my intake of naturally detoxifying foods. This means lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, herbs and spices. Put down the burger and fries and nourish your insides. Right now! I have put together a list of my Top 10 favourite detoxifying foods that you can include in your diet at home.
Spring clean your insides!
When increasing your intake of detoxifying foods there are some important things you should always remember.
- Avoid alcohol, sugars, caffeine, dairy and red meats.
- Stay Hydrated! Increase your water intake, drinking lots of water will help the elimination process of toxins through the kidneys. Consuming more fruit & veg also increases your fibre intake. Increasing your fibre intake without increasing your fluids can cause constipation so remember to drink up.
- Try drinking a glass of hot water and freshly squeezed lemon juice first thing in the morning to help wake up your digestive system and stimulate the liver function.
- Get plenty of rest … sleep is super important to help our bodies regenerate.
- Dry body brushing feels amazing and helps improve your blood circulation and lymphatic drainage which helps to release toxins. It also helps eliminate dead skin cells and encourages cell renewal.
- Move your booty! Light to moderate exercise will assist the detoxification process, stretch your muscles and even try yoga or meditation. This will help rejuvenate your mind, body and your spirit.
Important: Anyone considering a detox program or diet should ALWAYS consult their health professional before starting. Detox programs or diets are not always suitable for people with specific medical conditions, people taking certain medication or pregnant or breastfeeding women.
If you are interested in increasing your intake of detoxifying foods and spring cleaning your body from the inside out take a look at our eBook, The 5 Day Detox Guide. There are lots of delicious recipes to help keep you feeling satisfied and revitalised.